If you are planning to DIY the packing for your move, it’s important to get a head start on the process. Most Long Island homes contain hundreds of thousands of items from forks and knives to the couch in your living room. You may be surprised at the amount of effort that it takes to properly pack everything.
It’s also a good idea to purchase your moving supplies as soon as possible. The right moving boxes can prevent damage to your belongings during a relocation. So, you can avoid the hassle of getting replacement items as soon as you move into a new home.
What Moving Boxes to Buy for Your Belongings?
Most residential movers in Long Island will have a selection of different moving boxes they use for different household items. These boxes have unique features depending on what they hold, such as extra reinforcement, adjustable dividers, or being a certain shape and size.
Standard moving boxes also come in three basic sizes:
- Small Boxes – Most small moving boxes measure less than 12 inches long.
- Medium Boxes – A medium moving box measures between 16 – 18 inches long.
- Large Boxes – Finally, larger moving boxes will usually measure up to 24 inches long.
Below is a list of some popular moving box styles:
- Custom Crates – You can have a professional long-distance mover build a wood crate around a bulky, delicate, or valuable item, such as artwork. These crates are perfectly sized and shaped to fit around the item to prevent shifting during transport.
- Dish Packs – Reinforced cardboard boxes are ideal for packing dishware. Some dish packs also come with adjustable dividers for glassware and mugs.
- Mattress Boxes – These wide, thin cardboard boxes are made just a bit larger than the standard mattress sizes. Keep your mattresses from getting dusty, torn, or otherwise damaged during a move.
- Mirror Boxes – You can place mirrors and televisions in these telescoping boxes to provide a little extra protection during a move. The boxes are easy to adjust to the length of the mirror.
- Wardrobe Boxes – Got a lot of clothing on hangers? Just pick up a wardrobe box with aluminum bar inside to hang your clothing on. It makes emptying your closets a quick process.
Get Started with a Free Estimate from a Professional Long Island Moving Company
If the idea of packing everything alone is a little overwhelming, give Quality Moving & Storage a call. We have ProMover certified, BBB-accredited packers and movers in Long Island, NY who make short work of the job. We’re also proud to be agents with Wheaton Worldwide Moving. As a part of their network, we can complete moves to any location around the globe.
Our team can also assist you with:
- Local Moving
- Long-Distance Moving
- Commercial Moving
- International Moving
- Specialized Moving
- Storage Services
To get started with a free estimate for a long-distance move, give us a call today. You can also fill out our online form to request more information.
Subscribe to Quality Moving & Storage's Blog